Guidelines for Submitting Proposals and Manuscripts to AUC Press
The AUC Press publishes books relating to Egypt and the Middle East, in twelve broad areas:
- Arabic Language Learning
- Archaeology & Ancient Egypt
- Art & Architecture
- Business, Economics, and Environmental Studies
- Coptic and Islamic Studies
- Egypt Guidebooks
- Literary Criticism
- Middle East Studies
- AUC Political Economy & IR Series
- Middle East Urban Studies Series
- Middle East Travel
- Naguib Mahfouz
Please send a full outline and proposal with the following:
- description of the book
- table of contents (with brief descriptions of the content of each chapter); if the proposal is for a collected volume (i.e., a multi-volume work), please also try to provide an initial list of contributors.
- note on the target audience/market. The target audience gives us a sense of whom you’re writing for and at what level. It also helps us sell the book.
- the importance of the book and what distinguishes it from other books covering the same or related topics. Please do take the time to research any titles that could compete with your book and to tell us in what ways yours is different.
- projection of the number of words in the manuscript, including notes and bibliography (rather than number of pages)
- number and type of illustrations (if any)
- your intended manuscript completion date
- if you view this book as a student text, for what courses and at what level would it be appropriate
- a sample chapter
- your CV, including a brief description of your academic interests and professional affiliations and any recent publications.
After reviewing the proposal we will be able to make an initial publishing decision, to be confirmed in due course by a complete review of the finished manuscript.
The AUC Press publishes Arabic fiction in English translation as recommended to us by a board of distinguished literary advisors. We do not accept submissions from authors, but we will consider proposals from translators.
We are not accepting new fiction proposals at this time.
The AUC Press welcomes proposals for scholarly monographs and general books concerning the Middle East and North African regions on a broad variety of topics including, but not limited to, Egyptology, eastern Mediterranean archaeology, art history, medieval and modern history, ethnography, environmental studies, migration, urban studies, gender, art and architectural history, religion, Middle-Eastern politics, political economy, and Arabic language learning.
All scholarly manuscripts are rigorously reviewed for level of scholarship, quality of research, and originality. We are happy to consider proposals or partial manuscripts, and to encourage and guide writers if a proposal seems good to us. Please send proposals to:
Nigel Fletcher-Jones, Consulting Editor email@example.com
- Archaeology of the eastern Mediterranean
- Ancient history
Nadia Naqib, Senior Commissioning Editor (Cairo) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Modern and medieval history
- Biography and autobiography
- Political science (politics, political economy, and international relations)
Anne Routon, Senior Acquisitions Editor (New York) email@example.com
- Art history and cultural studies (including film, theater, and music)
For information on formatting, style, and permissions guidelines, please review our “Guide for Authors”.
Rights and Permissions
If you wish to reproduce an entire AUC Press work or an extract our Rights and Permissions team will be happy to help you with your query.
For Foreign licensing inquiries, please contact Trevor Naylor, international rights manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the relevant sub-agent below:
For French language rights, please contact Agence Eliane Benisti
For German language rights, please contact Liepman Agency
For Chinese, Malay, Indonesian language rights, please contact Big Apple
For Turkish language rights, please contact Kalem Agency
For Spanish and Portuguese language rights please contact A.C.E.R. Literary Agency
For Korean language rights, please contact Bestun Korean Agency
For Polish language rights, please contact Agencja Literacka GRAAL
For Italian language rights, please contact Nabu